2018 Election Dates and Deadlines

While school board elections take place on the even-year November election date, a school district may place millage and bond propositions on the ballot on any of the three regular election dates each year (four election dates in a presidential election year), as well as on certain petition initiative election dates.

The 2018 regular election dates for millage or bond proposals are:

May 8, 2018
August 7, 2018
November 6, 2018

A certified copy of the school board resolution approving ballot language for millage or bond proposi­tions must be filed with the school’s election coordinator at least 12 weeks before the election date. For the May 2018 election date, that filing deadline is Tuesday, February 13, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. If your school district is considering a millage or bond proposition for next May, please contact the Thrun Law Firm attorney who assists your district with election matters as soon as possible.

Registered electors in a school district also may circulate petitions to place a millage or bond proposi­tion on the ballot on a date other than one of the regular election dates listed above. Petitions bearing a sufficient number of signatures must be filed at least 12 weeks before the applicable election date. For 2018, the remaining available petition initiative “floater” election dates are:

April 3
June 19, 26
July 3
September 18, 25
October 2
December 18, 25

The 2018 regular and “floater” election dates could be used to seek voter approval for any of the following:

  • millage renewal;
  • restoration/override of Headlee reduction to existing millage;
  • new millage, such as sinking fund, recreational, or regional enhancement; or
  • voted bonds.

For a new bond issue that a district would like qualified under the School Bond Qualification and Loan Program, school officials should contact the fi­nancial advisor and bond attorney at least five months before the prospective election date to schedule a pre­liminary qualification meeting with the Department of Treasury.

If you have questions about voted bonds or millages, please contact the Thrun Law Firm attorney who assists your school district with election matters.