EAST LANSING: 517.484.8000 | NOVI: 248.533.0741 | WEST MICHIGAN: 616.588.7700
Thrun Law Firm Model Discipline Policy and Forms Now Available
Must a student be expelled for assaulting a staff member? When is an expelled student eligible for reinstatement? What special rules apply to students with disabilities? How much “process” is due a student before a suspension or expulsion?
Before disciplining a student, school officials must understand the interplay between constitutional due process requirements; federal law, including the Gun-Free Schools Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act; as well as state law, including the Revised School Code’s mandatory suspension and expulsion requirements.
Many schools have outdated, confusing, and internally inconsistent student discipline policies. Most schools do not have preprinted letters, resolutions, or forms to help officials meet their legal obligations. Without clear and consistent policies and forms, schools run the risk of violating a student’s rights, violating the law, and facing potential civil liability and financial penalties.
To assist our clients in complying with the various student discipline requirements, Thrun Law Firm has developed a model student discipline policy and related documents, including:
- Draft Board Policy
- Letter to Parent: Superintendent Hearing Referral
- Letter to Parent: Board Hearing Referral
- Board Resolution: Possession of a Weapon in a Weapon-Free School Zone
- Board Resolution: Physical Assault Against Employee/Volunteer/Contractor
- Board Resolution: Physical Assault Against Student • Board Resolution: Bomb Threat/Similar Threat
- Board Resolution: Arson or Criminal Sexual Conduct on School Property
- Board Resolution: Other Offenses
- Letter to Parent Following Superintendent Hearing
- Letter to Parent Following Board Hearing
- Letter to County Department of Human Services/ Community Mental Health
- Board Resolution Appointing Reinstatement Committee
- Letter to Parent: Receipt of Reinstatement Petition
- Board Resolution: Reinstatement of an Expelled Student
- Letter to Parent: Reinstatement Decision
- Hearing Rights and Procedures
- Student Discipline Checklist
The policy packet is intended for those schools that have, or intend to adopt, a student discipline model by which building administrators are delegated authority to suspend students on a short-term basis (e.g., up to 10 days), the superintendent or chief executive officer is delegated authority to suspend students for longer periods of time, and the board reserves the authority to long-term suspend and expel. If your school uses a different discipline model, please contact a Thrun Law Firm attorney to discuss how the documents may be individually tailored for your school.
The complete student discipline policy packet is now available for purchase and may be ordered by completing and returning the attached order form.
|Student Discipline Package Order Form.pdf||31.77 KB|